Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Advent - day seven


On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love brought to me, seven certain suitcases, six singing souls, five Yulenissers, four Christmas stockings, three special wishes, 2 rollers skates, and one very large sea kelp.

If you were one of the Clayton girls, you could wish for Samsonite luggage for Christmas - and your wish would come true. Samsonite luggage was available in the S&H Green Stamp Catalog. And it was nice luggage. Below is a picture of the kind I had. It was "hard" sided - and they really don't make that kind of luggage anymore - although I see a piece now and then. I'm not even sure when I finally got rid of all mine - I believe it was after we moved back to California. For many years I stored fabric in it!


Mine was gray. You didn't get a whole set - you got a piece each year, usually starting with the "cosmetic case." I remember thinking when I got the first piece when would I ever take a trip that would use all this lovely luggage!! (The irony here is that by the time I took a trip of some magnitude - to France - the luggage was too heavy for international travel, so I had to borrow Lyn's suitcase from his mission!)

But it took me off to college - I'm not even sure how many pieces I had, but it might have been three - the cosmetic case, a large piece, and a medium sized piece. They were lined with a yellow silk-like fabric. They were quite deluxe. ("seven certain suitcases" was just for alliterative effect!)

Newer luggage came into vogue - soft-sided, much lighter, and more flexible. Like a lot of "must haves," "must have" luggage went the way of the Edsel!!

Note: Harry and I returned from Virginia recently and my large red suitcase was ruined - the handle wouldn't go down once we got it up. Harry took it apart and discovered that the metal tube that the handle went up and down in had been seriously bent.

That would never have happened with my gray Samsonite luggage!

No comments: