Tuesday, December 14, 2010

And even more Christmas memories!


My father's Uncle Norman is the young boy sitting between his father's knees. He was crippled - either born that way, or he had polio or some other disease. My dad used to tell us stories about how kids would pick on other kids - and wouldn't think that Norman was any threat. But he'd go after the bullies with his good hand - and they would stop bullying!

He was the janitor of the Hollywood Ward building for many years. In fact, he died in the building and was found the next day. He'd had a fatal heart attack. I'm not sure how old he was - I was in my teens when it happened.


What I mostly remember though, is that he always came to our house for Christmas. My dad would go pick him up and he'd stay overnight with us. He also came at Thanksgiving, but just for the day. He was kind and funny. Said he'd never met a food he didn't like - but there were some that didn't seem to like him!!


My folks would get shirts, ties and socks for him and wrap them up and put them under the tree. He was always duly impressed with our humble offerings - we were impressed that his gifts got wrapped!

I'm sure my parents served others all the time - and we were not always aware of their efforts. I'm thankful that Uncle Norman was a very visible part of our holiday traditions.

(And don't you love my mom's shirtwaist dress??)




No comments: