Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"For unto us a child is born . . ."


Dad kept to his word, and we spent Christmas in Utah for the next 7 years - until we moved to SoCal once more. One of those years was spent in the Harris' house in Centerville - they were on a mission, and we reveled in a large house with lots of rooms, two fireplaces, a big backyard, and a finished basement. And some nice furniture too!

We had a small cast, but we always did the nativity. I think I usually played the three wise men - and the inn keeper. When we got back to SoCal, we started being part of the Terrill Family Christmas parties - where the nativity was a major part of the evening. There were some great enactments, but as a result, we sort of phased out of doing them in our own homes - sometimes I wonder if we should have tweaked that some.

There is something about having a large cast and a script and an organ that is pretty special though.

4 comments:

Karen said...

We have had some fun nativity enactments at our house. I haved missed being with the extended family for the Terrill party, but I am glad we have been able to develop our own traditions.

Eliza said...

We have spent Christmas Eve at a different place every year it seems...whether with friends or family. Maybe this year we will try a nativity at home!

bonny with a Y said...

we don't do the nativity at home either. we do it at church, and at friends' houses and at the grandma party - so it seems a bit superfluous.

grannybabs said...

I guess it's just important to do it sometime, somewhere! I'm sure that's why we left it up to the Terrill family party. But we never did it at home when I was a kid. I think my folks did well just getting us all in bed before midnight on Christmas Eve. Sometimes my dad read to us from Luke.