Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Birthdays!!


Christmas at the Terrills always includes Dad's birthday - and a pineapple upside down cake.

The second year of our marriage, I asked Dad what kind of cake he wanted - and he said "Pineapple upside down cake." I knew about such cakes, but I had not only never eaten one very often, but I had certainly never made one.

He said they were easy - he'd made them often for his college roommates. So he taught me how - and taught me that the best pan to cook one in was a cast iron skillet - and so every year for the last 42 years, I have made one for him in the same cast iron skillet that we got for a wedding present.

It wasn't until Robin's wedding that I discovered that all the Terrills are nuts about pineapple upside down cake - that was her wedding cake!

And this year there was a birthday celebration in the staff lounge for one of my colleagues - who requested a pineapple upside down cake! So now I've made more than just the number of years we've been married!

I keep track of such things!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I have never made a pineapple upside down cake. I'll have to get your recipe.

grannybabs said...

I have perfected it over the years - and would be happy to share!!