Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Advent - day one


"On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, one very large kelp . ." Somehow that just doesn't seem to quite cut it does it?

While we were in D.C. this last week, we attended the National Cathedral for Evensong - something that occurs each day at 4 p.m. Last Sunday was the first Advent Sunday, so we got in on the whole Advent program, at least as practiced in the Episcopal Church. Apparently each Sunday until Christmas, another portion of Advent will be celebrated.

It was a moving program - and we got to sing some hymns and carols together. There were readers who read through "lessons" that were talking about the coming of Christ. The choirs were beautiful and the organist was one talented guy. The pastor of the church gave a very thoughtful sermon about the whole concept of Advent and "waiting and hoping in faith" and it was truly food for thought.

So I thought that I would reflect each day until Christmas on what Christmas means in my life - past and present. Hopefully, it will give me some insight that will make this Christmas season more meaningful - and joyful.

I was trying to think of what my first Christmas memory was about. I know we were living in the "little house" and I was quite young. There were two bedrooms in the house and we children slept in them. My parents slept on the hideabed in the living room. I remember arising way too early and watching the hands move ever so slowly on the face of Lyn's lighted Mickey Mouse watch.

So I guess my first memory wasn't about the birth of Christ - it was more focused on the aspect of Santa. Not so surprising - but I do know that I knew what Christmas was truly about. I just seemed to be drawn to Santa more than service or sacrifice!

I was young though. Hopefully time has altered my focus!

1 comment:

Alice said...

That is also my first memory of Christmas. I remember that we kept asking Lyn what time it was. We couldn't go in until 7 AM. We have done advent at our house for years. We light one advent candle a week and then sing songs. Everyone gets a chance to choose which song they would like to sing. One year Erika made us song books with words to most of the popular Christmas carols. It seemed that we only kind of knew the first verse. Now we sing all of the verses and that really helps with remembering the true meaning of Christmas.