Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Hidden in Plain Sight!"


I took quite a few shots of the eggs that Bruce and Noah hid for the egg hunt. As I was going through them, I was thinking about how often we miss things - ideas, blessings, gifts, and good suggestions - because we just don't see them.

Or we "see" them, but their significance doesn't register with us.


Sometimes we think we are seeing something else.


Sometimes we aren't sure what we are seeing, so we pass it by.


Often, upon reflection, we realize what we have missed. This all sounds "theoretical," and it is. But I recall times when someone said something to me that should have let me know what they were feeling. I took their words at face value, however, and missed the message.

I'm sure we've all had the experience of asking someone how we looked. They say fine or great. But what we are really asking is "Do you think I look good enough to do this task?" or "Do you think I have value or worth?"

We extend a compliment and it is dismissed. And then we miss the hesitation or the inability to accept the compliment and what that means.

We are all busy and have agendas of our own. I'm sure we all understand and accept the truism that it really doesn't matter what you wear, because everyone out there is worrying about how they look, not how you look!

Or you've had someone ask you for advice - and then you gave it. But you wondered why it didn't seem to satisfy. Because it turns out that your questioner didn't want advice at all - he or she wanted sympathy or understanding.

So I'm thinking I'm going to try a little harder to "see" things clearly - especially as it pertains to relationships.

Maybe I will even remember to let you know how it goes!!

No comments: