Saturday, April 23, 2011

A love of lilies


I do not have a green thumb. I can water and plant, but I don't really know how to maintain, so my efforts are not always spectacular, to say the least.

There are two flowers, though, that grow in abundance in our yard regardless of what I do or don't do. They are calla lilies and amaryllis. The lilies were here when we came. The amaryllis were a gift from Polly.

(Actually I don't do too badly with roses either, but the deer come and eat them with so much regularity, I can't count on them.)

And there is a brief window - that seems to occur at slightly different times each year - when I get to feel like I'm some kind of gardener!!

I love flowers - they bring me joy - you would think I would learn to cultivate many different kinds. But I don't - maybe when I retire I will have the time, inclination, and energy to become a cultivator of flowers.

Till then I will enjoy the calla lilies and amaryllis when they come!

1 comment:

amy k said...

Flowers are a breath of fresh air and calla lilies are my favorite! Your flowers look really nice.