Friday, April 22, 2011

Some Friday Night Musings!

Yesterday I posted a photo of Theo, sitting between his mom's feet while she was standing on the sidelines at the Boston Marathon. I commented that sometimes I feel like just sitting down in the midst of all the action. That got me thinking about the idea that I'm the grown up now - no more excuses.

I remember the first time I felt the weight of "being the adult" in the situation. It was right after Bonny was born. I distinctly recall thinking that if there was any kind of emergency or disaster, Bonny was absolutely dependent on me for everything. And who would be taking care of me??

As the years went by and more children came along, I would wonder at times how it would have been to have been a pioneer. I would imagine how difficult it would be to walk along, possibly carrying a child for long distances - undoubtedly without a stroller or even a nice Baby Bjorn!!

In 1987, the Whittier earthquake hit our neighborhood. I was truly frightened - I was sitting in the living room, feeding Noah, who was a 5 month old baby at the time. Hannah was 2 and playing in the family room at the other end of the house. Eliza was 4 and still in bed. Phoebe was 10 and was getting ready for school. Harry, Bonny, and Harry had all left for the day. I was indeed the grown up - the only grown up in fact!!

I will say this - if I'm ever in an emergency or earthquake, I want Phoebe with me - what a trouper. She galvanized us all - hustling us under the table for shelter and dragging quilts with her - "to protect us from the falling glass" she was sure was coming. I was pretty nervous and anxious - and not at all sure if I felt up the event!!

Within a short time, Bonny and Harry showed up with a truckload of kids who wanted to stay with us - because they didn't want to go home to an empty house! It was an interesting day - and throughout the day, I kept wondering if a big aftershock would be coming - and was I ready to take care of all these children and adolescents who were under my roof!

I talked about this once with my instructional aide, Beth, and she recalled that during the Whittier quake, school was in session. She said it was pretty amazing how obedient and well-behaved the students were. They were looking to the adults for directions - and they were prepared to follow them!!

I was glad to hear that, because soon after becoming a full-time teacher, I started thinking about earthquakes and other emergencies - and wondering if sometimes-disobedient students could be counted upon to follow your lead! It has been my experience thus far - and this has only been with the practice drills we have regularly - that students are willing to turn the worrying and turmoil over to the adults!

As I have said before, when did I become the resident grown-up??

No comments: