Monday, April 20, 2009

Diary of an Invalid (of the temporary sort that is!!)


I have indeed been well cared for during my convalescence. Starting with a funny card from Jan Marlia on Thursday, a loaf of pound cake from Bonnie C., and flowers from Karl on Wednesday, I have been remembered with many loving and thoughtful gestures.

Probably the most important and most essential was the lovely blessing from Dad and Harry on Thursday night. I truly felt at peace - even when every person I encountered at the surgical center Friday morning - except my doctor - said, "You are having both knees done today?"

When we got home from the surgical center, there was a beautiful hydrangea and a lovely card (see above) from Heather M. Later, while I was "sleeping it off" the Kellys brought by a loaf of warm Hawaiian bread. Kathy K. sent Gerbera daisies in a colorful pot, and Dad fielded numerous calls expressing love and concern for my welfare. (I walked into the house on my own power - not long distances for sure - but on my own power - with the help of Dad's arms and various walls and chair backs!)

That evening, my faithful visiting teacher Brooke brought over a wonderful meal - I need the recipe! And even though I didn't sleep very well that night - once again pain meds failed to relieve any pain - and only produced dizziness and nausea - I woke up feeling better than I had felt the day before. Ice packs and Advil seem to be the most helpful.

Saturday produced visits from Marcie and Arlene B. Marcie brought dinner and Arlene brought daffodils!! The dinner was yummy and satisfying and the flowers were enchanting!! ("And then my heart with rapture fills, and dances with the daffodils")

Harry F. brought the children by, and Eve played Girl Friday for me - she is such a helper! I read all day long - check the book blog for my progress through a number of novels. Dad and I also enjoyed browsing through YouTube for clips by Marian Andersen and Susan Boyle. Good stuff. There were more calls, cards and emails. A special card from my old roomie Joy brought a smile to my face.

Saturday night I slept well - awoke refreshed and feeling like I could handle it while Dad went off to church - taking Heather's lovely hydrangea to put on the organ. I read the LA Times cover to cover - but the LA Times is pretty meager these days, so that's not saying much. It was a change anyway! Finished one novel - blogged on the book blog - and started another book.

Dad came back from church and brought me a nice card from Kara M. and the greetings of many from our great ward family.

Mary Jane Card brought chocolate dipped strawberries and stayed for a nice long visit - we had lots to talk about since she had knee surgery last summer - she was a fount of information!! (And didn't question my doing both knees at the same time!!) J.J. came by with a beautiful bouquet of lilies and lysanthus from Margaret.

Enjoyed wishing Eliza a happy day and chatted for awhile - always fun! She'd had a good day - even without us and Boston!

Dawn did dinner for us - they came by later with lemon pie for dessert. The Cornwalls came by with some caramel bars of some sort - mighty tasty too!! We enjoyed a visit and Sue's report on the opera Thursday night - she, Sarah and Rene used our tickets. Looks like they went to a good home!

The day ended with a visit from Brenda C. - the R.S. Pres - and then Dad and I watched the Hallmark Hall of Fame show about Irenka Spendler - it was well done - sobering but insightful.

I went to bed optimistic that it would be another good night's sleep - but I awoke at 2:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. The ice packs were warm and so I went into the living room to read - thought I might fall asleep - but the mystery I was reading got compelling - so I finished it - and finally fell asleep around 5!!

Had some weird dreams- dreamed I'd taken the wrong road leaving Bonny's and had driven into the ocean - but was able to drive the car back to the beach when I realized my error!! We were actually floating in the water. Strange!! I had Ida and Porter in the car and we ended up in a shabby beach house that seemed to belong to us. And some tenants came to stay in it - then I woke up!! Thank heavens!

I awoke this a.m.to the sounds of the Boston Marathon - Dad was rooting for the American male - who came in third - but that is impressive - first time an American placed in the top three since 1985. The American female came in third too. He was pretty engrossed for a tme.

I enjoyed a nice visit from our friend Dana and had fun checking my email and the blogs. Dad is off home teaching, so I'm going to hit the pillows again - and see if the new novel either keeps me awake or puts me to sleep. Elizabeth G. is bringing dinner - and maybe for FHE Dad will let me win at Quiddler or Phase 10!

And you should see my skinny ankles.!

6 comments:

Diane said...

Ooh, I always love skinny ankles!

Hester said...

I'm glad to hear recovery isn't too bad so far!

Karen said...

I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well. When do they expect you to be up and around? Just wondering how that will go with two knee surgery

grannybabs said...

The one nurse talked like, "Well, if they heal at the same time, it should take the same amount of time as one knee would."

I get the stitched out tomorrow - that should give me more info.

I do get up throughout the day for 10 minutes or so at a time - but I'm usually ready to be down again!

Eliza said...

I wish I were there to make you dinner and wash your hair! The ankles look great.

Kaahl said...

get well