Saturday, November 07, 2015

Book number 56 - check!


I think I went 3 or 4 weeks without reading a novel!!  I read magazines and newspapers - but didn't have anything that was "begging" to be read - nor did I have an airplane flight scheduled - I always have a book or two for those!

I've gone through phases of not buying physical books - went a year - but certainly bought a lot for the old Kindle account!!  You say, try the library - but you sort of have to know what you are looking for there.  There's too many just to browse!

So I thought of a couple of fave authors of mine and thought I'd see what there was.  The trouble was, I'd find a book, read the description, and then think I'd already read it!!  I do keep track of the books I have read - they are in various book journals I have started and discarded.  The librarian suggested I gather them up and digitize their info.  Not a bad idea - I will add it to my list of "worthy projects to consider!!"

There was a featured book on the end of one  row, a novel by Lisa See.  I have only read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan I think.  But some of the other dust jackets seemed to ring a bell.  The above did not seem too familiar, so I gave it a try.

It's a pretty good "summer read" if you follow my drift.  Novels about Chinese history, written by American born Chinese women, are often well-written and full of description and history.  There is a sameness to them, however, but it's not a huge detraction.

This was about the period of time in China before World War II - once the sisters get to the U.S., the story goes through to the 1950s. I especially enjoyed the descriptions and stories about Chinatown and Olvera Street.  LA history has a definite pull.

The stories about FBI investigations and the McCarthy era purges were a little disheartening.  It ended kind of up in the air - turns out there's a sequel - and I just started that!!

It's good for passing the time - but I'm still looking for a great read to capture my attention!!

And on to book number 57!

Perhaps I should have made this a gratitude post - because I am grateful that I'm a reader.

No comments: