Saturday, November 07, 2015

Gratitude journal - blog style - post number 7!


Lest you think I'm grateful for the "Wall of Fame" that hung for many years in my folks' living room, let me say that this post is doing double duty today.  I am grateful for my wonderful parents - they didn't have much, but they were ambitious, hard-working, and diligent - and sometimes that's better than having a lot!!

But today is also my dad's 99th birthday!!  So Happy Birthday Dad!!  He was a good dad.  He doted on his daughters - sometimes to the consternation of his sons.  He wouldn't let me get my driver's license until I was 17, but he'd drive me anywhere I wanted to go - and wait for me to be done to give me a ride home!

Before they had the internet and copy machines, he could do the lettering on a poster like nobody else.  And he'd happily do it for you.  

He could make the best book covers out of paper bags - and they never came off!!  He made wonderful hats out of newspapers too!

He built cradles for my girls and their dolls.  He'd share his candy bars when you came to visit his shop.  

And he never spoke about his mom without being emotional - a characteristic that made him the man he was!

So grateful to still have my mom in my life.  I try to visit her once a week - and it's always a treat.  She's still a great conversationalist - even if I do have to yell!

Good parents - a blessing and a gift indeed!

No comments: