Sunday, May 29, 2011

Grandchildren are an heritage of the Lord!!


For our ward conferences this year, we have had the theme of laying up treasures in heaven. We have one more conference to go. As an introduction, I have been sharing the story of when Bonny and the girls evacuated to our home during the Malibu fires. Esme had a big white box with her when she came - she told me it was her treasure box. I said, "Oh, did you put in your American Girl doll?" And she said, "Oh no, Grandma, you can buy those with money. These are my treasures that money can't buy."

She had just started kindergarten a few weeks before. The box contained the papers and artwork she had been bringing home since she'd been going to school. I have often thought of that experience when evaluating things I am wondering about keeping. She makes a very valid point!


It was my birthday a week ago, but the "Little Women" gave me some cards they had made for me today. They were so sweet. Some sample lines, "We always have so much fun when we are with you," and "You always come up with good books to read," "I am so glad that you are my grandma because you are so nice and so smart," "You have shown me hundreds of great books," and maybe my favorite, "You are a great example of the gospel, which I have learned a lot about from you."

Once again I learn a great lesson from these wonderful children who are a part of my life.

P.S. Eve and Porter made me cards too - Porter's is a gem "Happe Birthday luv Porter." That little guy can really melt your heart - or make you laugh out loud - like tonight when he told my brother Lyn that he might be forever being a snake under the table - then proceeded to slither under it in record time!

Eve, in true feminine fashion, added color and glitter to her card - and said "U Shine Grandma!!"

The Fillmores sent me a musical voice mail - and Agnes's voice stood out from all the rest - I've saved that one!

Some days I think that the reward for going through parenthood is your grandkids!!

No comments: