Friday, May 06, 2011

What I appear to be doing with my time!!

Quite possibly I am avoiding work. In the last month, I have read 10 books. I did make one apron. And while at Phoebe's I did her mending. And during Conference weekend, I ironed everything in the ironing basket. But it seems like I mostly read. In my defense, I have been on the plane a few times - and you need to read in airports and on airplanes.

The weather is lovely out - I should at least go sit outside and read I guess!! But it reminds me of my youth - I was always reading. I ran the water in the bathtub so my mom thought I was scrubbing the tub - my regular Saturday job - but I was reading!! I sat in my history class while positively boring Mr. Pitkanen lectured - and had a novel tucked inside my history book. I would be sent to bed since it was bedtime - and I would read under the covers with a flashlight. My brothers built and abandoned a tree house - more like a tree-platform actually - and I would sit up there and read - while listening to my mom calling for me to come in and peel potatoes or something. I loved going babysitting - long hours of reading uninterrupted after the kiddos went to bed - I always put them to bed on time and was stern and unrelenting about the necessity of their staying in bed. Parents loved me - kids not so much!

Years ago - when we lived in Cook Apartments in Centerville - I remember getting wrapped up in a book and positively abandoning everything else - Harry came home to some quiet chaos and said, "Oh, has Mom been reading today?"

Next on my list are the Port Authority books Hannah recommended. I ordered them on Amazon - and they have shipped!! I am really excited to have another series to get immersed in. The reviews called Wendell Berry "the Faulkner of Kentucky." (so much for my resolve not to buy books!!)

I believe I've said all this before. But it bears repeating!

No comments: