Monday, November 10, 2014

Month of Gratitude


While we were in Utah, Leslie arranged things so that my mother's good friend Kay Gavin could come and visit.
 

Kay's daughter Nancy and Leslie have been good friends since junior high.  Leslie introduced Nancy to the gospel and later Nancy's parents joined too.  Nancy married and settled in Utah and after her father's death, her mom joined her there.

Before she moved away, Kay became ill and needed care.  So she came and stayed with our family,  and Mom cared for her.  That truly cemented their friendship.

Over the years we have all maintained contact, so seeing them was a treat for everyone.  Kay is 96, and it took both Charlie and Nancy to get her mom in the door and settled down.  But I wish I'd had a video camera - or at least thought to take a video with my iPad.  Mom was sitting on the couch, and when Kay got near enough, she flung her arms around Mom and squealed delightedly, "Oh, Mary, Mary, Mary, Mary!"  It was wonderful to behold.  And they visited for a goodly long time!  (It had been years since they'd seen each other.)
 

I have wonderful friends. One especially who goes "way back" is Joy.  Summer of 2013 we managed to meet up in St. George.  Joy squealed almost as delightedly as Kay did.  (I guess I'm not a squealer!  But I was very happy to see her.)

I am eternally grateful for friendship and all it has meant in my life!


No comments: