Monday, November 24, 2014

Month of Gratitude


I didn't always know how to sew.  And I wasn't always interested in learning how either.  When we were girls in junior high, I was always in Student Council or on the newspaper staff, so I didn't take sewing at school.  My mom sewed all the time, and sewing was often essential if I wanted certain things.

I learned to trade chores with Alice, who not only took sewing in junior high, but was very good at it.  I'd do her dishes if she'd set in the sleeves for me, or put in a zipper - I'd was pretty good at straight seams!

This arrangement worked well until she went on her mission - and I was pregnant and poor!  She gave me a pattern and some fabric and assured me I could do it - and I did!  And I kept on doing it, and got better as time went on.

I mostly sew aprons and tied quilts these days. Or I mend.  I'm not so interested in having to read new directions - I'd rather sew something I'm familiar with while watching old movies on my portable DVD player!

That doesn't mean I might not branch out again


one of these days.  If my arthritic fingers and my vision continue to co-operate.

Stay tuned.  In the meantime, I'm grateful for skills that bring me joy!

No comments: