Monday, November 17, 2014

Month of Gratitude


Every month I volunteer in Eve's cooking class at Clifton.  The teacher is a good friend of mine, and it's fun to be with her too.  Apparently Eve volunteered my services at the beginning of the school year, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Today I taught them to make jam - it was lots of fun.  Many of them didn't even know what jam was.  They apparently call any sweet sandwich spread jelly!  In September we made apple turnovers.  In October we made Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies.  In December we are going to learn about and make wassail!  (Any good recipes, feel free to share them with me.)

They are all eager learners.  It just warms your heart to be surrounded by such willing students.  With all the focus on academics and Common Core, it really is too bad that things like cooking and other electives are falling by the wayside - and falling they are - because there is so much to be learned from cooking.

(The above photo is a much younger Eve helping me in the kitchen.  I think all kids love the kitchen!)

I am thankful that cooking is still offered at Clifton - and that I get my middle school-fix each month in the class!!

No comments: