Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Month of Gratitude


We don't really have fall in California - at least it's not a very distinct season.  The leaves turn, but slowly.  They drop too, but that's slow also.  Flowers die, but in SoCal new ones are always coming up. 

The mornings are cool and crisp - sometimes even chilly if you get up early enough.  And when the sun goes down, so does the temperature.  These things matter because we continue to have hot, hot days throughout the fall months.  And someone once pointed out to me that if you have shorter days, you are experiencing less heat!!

I have spent most of my life relating fall to school - starting, Back-to-School Night, colorful bulletin boards.  But now that I'm retired, it still feels fallish and school is not part of the mix!

Maybe I like the idea of old things going, winter coming, the promise of spring.  Or maybe it has more to do with holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year"s!

But I am grateful for fall - it does seem like the year's last, loveliest smile!

No comments: