Monday, February 13, 2006

Monday's Moment


I'm looking for some shorter, tidier, more useful titles for the daily Fave Foto.

This was taken in 1978 I think - it's Dad working on the house in Centerville. I was always so nervous that he would fall or something - that house was so tall.

I could write volumes on that house - the planning, the building, the leaving, the selling - it was a big part of our lives and shaped the future of the Harry and Barbara Terrill Family.

When we planned it, we said, "Is this just a stepping stone, or will we spend the rest of our lives here?" And we answered ourselves, "We're spending the rest of our lives here." And we lived in it for 6 months!!

We had a VW van and a piano - and were making payments on both of them. Had to get rid of one to qualify for a mortgage - we got rid of the VW - and look at all the pianists in the family!

I could go on and on - I haven't even seen the house in years and years - and I don't think I want to.

7 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

that's so funny that you said that about staying, because bruce and i wondered that about our house we're in now. we'd always moved every couple of years, so we didn't know how long we'd be here. but we're at 9 so far.

and i'm glad you kept the piano - although maybe i'd be a really great mechanic otherwise. although the peugeot didn't inspire that.

Eliza said...

Geez. That house is tall!

Bonny beat me to a crack about pianos vs. VW buses. Although rather than mechanic ability I was thinking more along the lines of pot smoking. (Look, I'm sorry, the VW bus has a bad rap!)

I am very grateful that we had a piano and that I stuck with lessons. It's a big part of who I am today, at least in my current ward anyway!

Eliza said...

Also a big part of who I am today: growing up in Monrovia instead of Centerville.

Although I'm sure we would have all turned out fine either way. And I like Centerville. They're getting a Wal-Mart though. Who would have thought...

Karen said...

Every once in a while we drive by the house, (and the rock house and the duplex)Everything has changed so much since we were there.
And Eliza, I grew up with and drove a vw van and never smoked pot. Do have great memories of the van. (And Centerville)

bonny with a Y said...

haha - i grew up with hippie parents and none of us smoked pot either.

M. Keith said...

well OBVIOUSLY none of us would have smoked pot...okay maybe not obviously, but I'm pretty sure...Anyway, I'm just telling you what I think of when I think VW bus.

This is Eliza, by the way.

HPT said...

If my recollection is worth anything, there never was a thought about selling the piano. What we did have was two cars and two trucks. The van, a blue Pinto, a yellow Ford Courier and the blue Ford truck. We decided that we had to sell the first two that would sell. The van went right away. Of course. We would have preferred to have that when we moved, but it went first. The Pinto went to the Executive Secretary to the Twelve at the time, a man whose name I cannot remember. That left the yellow truck for Mom & kids to drive around in when they got to LA. Very sophisticated, we all thought. Especially the part when it backfired going down the street. Remember that? We were definitely the odd folks out from the mountain west. At least we didn't park it on the lawn....
But sell the piano? Not even!