Friday, November 01, 2013

"I've got plenty to be thankful for . . ."


Eliza blogged about the concept of blogging daily in November about what we are thankful for. At different times over the years, I have kept a gratitude journal, and it is a very useful, rewarding kind of exercise.  I tend to focus on negatives more often than positives, so it's an especially helpful exercise for me to engage in!

My "gratitude posts" are not going in any particular order.  That is, the first post might not be the thing I am most grateful for, but it is something I thought about when I thought about gratitude as I sat here at the computer.

This is a photo of me with my aide of 16 years, one Verna Beth Roth - known fondly as "Mrs. Roth" to many of my students.  In fact, when she was not in my classroom this year, I heard "But where is Mrs. Roth?" more times than I care to remember!

Beth had the opportunity this year to finally have full-time status as an instructional aide - something she has wanted the whole time she's worked for the district!  But it meant she had to move to the self-contained classroom, since the Resource classroom does not qualify for full-time aides.  

I used to say, "When Beth goes, I go!"  But I'm not ready to retire yet, so I have had to adjust!  Beth has had to adjust too, but she has simply endeared herself to a new group of aides, teachers, and students!  And I have been given two new aides, and they are working out well and do an excellent job.  Mrs. Roth does drop by often.  I also get to have lunch with her in the staff lounge each day, so we may actually have more "social" time together than we had before.

But I often look for her - and have to remind myself that she's not in my room anymore.  I miss her ready smile, her very upbeat, positive attitude, her daily injunction to just look for "baby steps" and then we won't be disappointed.

And I am reminded that we need to treasure the now, the today, the present.  We need to be thankful for what we have - not what we might not have in the future.

I am truly thankful for the wonderful 16 years Beth and I worked together. And thankful that we are always going to be friends!

No comments: