Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sewing up a storm!


My mother sewed most of my clothes when I was a girl.  I got to where I preferred store-bought - probably because I never got to have it!!  But as I grew older, I learned to sew myself.  Pretty soon I preferred the clothes I made for myself over store-bought.  I sewed a lot for Bonny, quite a bit for Phoebe, and some for Hannah and Eliza.  

Time got more scarce.  Styles changed.  Store-bought actually became cheaper and easier.  Although I recall one time when I told Bonny I couldn't make her a dress for the talent show, we'd just go buy something.  As we traipsed through store after store, I started thinking that I could have gotten two dresses made in the time it took to shop!!

I sew still, but I mostly sew aprons or craft and baby items.  I've done a fair number of pajama pants too.  Sewing requires energy and concentration - something not always available to me these days.  I have made so many of the aprons, though, I can do them in my sleep, so sewing is a pleasure or even a relaxer when I do them.

I am thankful, though, that I did learn to sew.  Thankful that I grew up with the idea that sewing was a good thing to do.  

And thankful that my daughters and granddaughters like to sew too!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Now I mostly sew special occasion dresses, not a lot of every day things. So glad I know how to sew! Thanks for all your help while I was learning.