Thursday, November 14, 2013

"Once upon a time . . ."


I have memories of my mother reading to us from either one of two books - Grimm's Fairy Tales or Anderson's Fairy Tales.  We didn't have lots of books in our house when I was small - I don't think lots of people had books.   But we did have a set of encyclopedia - and neighbors came often to borrow them.  We only had a traveling library in our town. It came every two weeks.  We checked out the maximum allowed each time they came too.

But I have memories of sitting on the floor while my mother sat in a chair and read  the stories to us.  It is a happy memory, because books and reading came to mean everything to me in my life.

And so I am happy that I am a reader.  I am happy that my children read to their children.  I am happy that we are a family of readers.

It certainly was heart-warming to watch Robbie read to Rhoda!

No comments: