Sunday, November 10, 2013

Thankful is as thankful does!!

The "inspiration" for this post involves the phrase "beauty is as beauty does" and my re-interpretation of it.

I always took the phrase to mean if you didn't do beautiful things, your beauty was diminished.  I could be wrong - and I've never googled it, so we won't have a definitive answer!  But it's as good an interpretation as any other I've heard, and it leads to my point for today's gratitude post.

You can be thankful, you can express gratitude, but if your life and your actions don't mirror that gratitude, then your declarations of thanksgiving are hollow and without much substance.

For example, gushing profuse thanks for a favor, and then never doing favors for others would seem hypocritical at best - and much worse in some other arenas.

Giving grudging service also falls into this category.  So does envy and jealous over the good fortune of others.

And what does all this have to do with a month dedicated to thankfulness?

I am grateful for good people all around me who willingly serve me and my family.  I am grateful for those who delight in my good fortune with me.  I am grateful indeed for the spirit of good will that surrounds most of my days!

No comments: