Friday, November 29, 2013

Winding down the month -

The month is winding down, as well as the Thanksgiving holiday and our trip here to visit Eliza and Hannah and families.

Upon reflection, I am especially grateful that in the scheme of things, the Thanksgiving holiday precedes the Christmas season.  It is good to reflect upon what we are grateful for.  It is good to think about how much we have - especially before racing out and getting even more!  And it is especially good to gather with those we love and care about so that we can be even more appreciative of all that is good in our lives.

I remember one year I decided to get all the Christmas details taken care of before Thanksgiving.  One of the motivators was the fact that my parents were coming up for the holiday - we were in Utah at the time - and I could save a bundle on postage.  It was a fun, busy November.  I was pleased to present my pile of gifts for my family members and to think that quite a few items were now checked off  my list.  I recall the Christmas season that year as being a pleasant one.  (But that could just be the filter of time!!)

Another year I decided to be done by December 1st so that I could offer to help others.  That was an especially good year - and I'm surprised that I never seemed inclined to duplicate it!  Maybe other things kept coming up!

Christmas has become less complicated in many ways.  I have gotten into patterns that don't require quite as much shopping and other effort.  Most years Harry and I don't give each other gifts.  We give  our children each the same thing - it takes some thought and effort, but we usually decide long before Christmas what we are going to do.  It's fun actually - and hopefully our kids like it!  I make birthdays the highlight for our grandchildren, and the New Year's Eve party we throw with the family is our "gift" to them.  I long ago made the decision to do certain things I do well - mostly jam and pumpkin bread - and give that to neighbors, colleagues, and church members we are assigned to visit.  
I give my mom an Auto Club membership each year, and we usually give Harry and David-type fruit gifts to Harry's mom.  Noah's pretty easy to shop for - so we are good to go!

So on this quiet morning after Thanksgiving, I am thankful to focus on the upcoming holiday season. To think about how much fun it will be to all be together.  To reflect on 46 years of married life.  To dream about sleeping in for about 2 weeks.  To listen to carols.  To smell the pine and cinnamon.

And to celebrate the birth of our Savior, the greatest gift of all!

No comments: