Saturday, November 09, 2013

So grateful for so many things!

Visiting in our children's homes when new babies arrive is a special treat in my life.  My girls tell me that they have friends whose moms don't want to come - and they don't want them to come.  I'm glad my girls don't feel that way.  And I'm glad that Harry and Dawn live  close by so that I can go over and be helpful whenever the opportunity presents itself.

My own mom came when Bonny, Harry, and Phoebe were born.  It was a fun, special experience to have her there, and I treasure the good memories.  It's a great time to visit and share thoughts and feelings - that may be even more beneficial than the help!  But the home-cooked meals, the folded laundry, the encouraging suggestions and real-life advice were certainly helpful and needed!

Eliza was born 4 days before Leslie's wedding, so my mom was pretty occupied and wasn't able to come.  I thought I'd be fine - Bonny was almost 13, Harry almost 11, and Phoebe almost 6, so not only were they capable of caring for themselves, they were also a big help.

But I do remember that first morning after I got home from the hospital.  She had jaundice - of course - so I had to take her in to the doctor's office - and had to get the kids off to school and then drive myself - Harry was on a job in LA and had to leave very early.  I do recall feeling somewhat abandoned!

I am grateful not only for the help and support of my mother and sisters when I have had my own children, but also the opportunity I have to be supportive of our children and their spouses when their children are born.

It's a good life!

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Of all the many, many, many wonderful gifts you have given me, the gift of your time, company, help,advice and love after my babies were born is one I cherish so dearly!

Karen said...

I am very grateful that my mom was able to be with me after the birth of most of my babies. (She was on a mission when Kimberlyn was born, I missed having her then)
It is a very special time and I look forward to being with my girls and their new babies when the time comes.