Thursday, November 14, 2013

RIP Mr. Gatto!


Joseph Gatto was found murdered in his home in Silver Lake last night.  His house had been ransacked, and he was found shot, slumped in a chair.  I heard about it first on the radio as I was driving Eve to meet her mom at the dentist.  I thought, "Can that be the same Joseph Gatto who was my Ceramics teacher and yearbook sponsor in high school?"

Unfortunately it was the same.  Such sad, terrible news.

I guess when you read about crimes in the paper, they sound sad and terrible - but they don't really apply to you, because the people are not people you know.  This was a new one for me - someone I knew, someone who had had an impact on my life when I was young and impressionable, someone who was a good person, someone who probably never hurt anyone in his life!

I got out my old yearbook - and found an inscription from him - it ended with "may life be good to you and reward you with the best!"

He always encouraged me to stretch and grow.  To go beyond the comfort zone.  I did not think of myself as an artist, or even as an artistic person.  But he helped me see that appreciating art is as important as being the artist.

I like to think I appreciate art.  I like to think he'd be proud of my progress.

RIP Joseph Anthony Gatto!

No comments: