Tuesday, January 11, 2011

14 years ago this month!!


14 years ago this month I was sustained as the Young Women President. This is not a photo of my presidency, but it does include 2 of them - at least at one point. I had the calling for 4 years and went through a number of counselors and secretaries!!

I learned a lot from this calling. But much of it I only learned in retrospect. Harry was the bishop at the time, and he tried to clue me in on some things, but I wasn't very receptive.

He mostly tried to get me to delegate more. I did lots of things myself. Not because no one would help - I just would do things myself. Kacy and Tricia in the photo above were especially valuable to me because they would do lots by themselves - they wouldn't wait to see if I would do it first!!

I learned though - I'm the delegating queen now. I'm not sure why I finally got smart - maybe I got old and tired and said "Here, you do it!"

Mostly I've gotten some great counselors in my current and recently past callings - and they pretty much won't let me do it all.

It's a lesson that has many implications - no one can do it all. And no one should. Meetings should be held, assignments should be made, everyone should do their part.

Even in families and jobs and neighborhoods and clubs and book groups.

I'm better at this now - and it's my resolve to "Keep up the good work!"


1 comment:

amy k said...

It was just a couple years ago that I learned to delegate to my kids. How nice that has been, even if it's a little below my expectations. Young Womens is always fun to be in.