Monday, January 17, 2011

1955 - a good year for needlework!


When I was a girl, the levels in Primary for girls were called Larks, Bluebirds, and Seagulls. You had certain tasks you had to accomplish at each level also.

One of them was to embroider this sampler. If it was 1955, I was 10, so I suspect this was maybe a Bluebird assignment - since Larks were 9, Bluebirds were 10, and Seagulls were 11.

I spent a summer completing it. I did lots of the work while sitting up the discarded treehouse that my brother Lyn and the neighbor boy Freddy Vergine had built. Then they built a better one and gave it over to us younger kids.

I have never been a real star at embroidery. I don't do it often now - mostly just doll faces in fact. I'm not sure why I chose those colors either. I suspect someone gave me the thread. This one is attractive by virtue of being pressed and mounted and framed - and vintage!

But the message certainly does have merit!

3 comments:

Alice said...

I have one exactly like it but with the date 1957, so indeed, it was done when we were both 10. I had mine mounted and framed as well but it is in storage. I really like your colors.

Karen said...

It is nice having something that you made as a girl.

Phoebe said...

I am glad that you made it so that I can look at it every morning when I go down to wake up my kids!