Monday, January 31, 2011

Getting things covered

Many women I know "collect" a signature item. Robyn went for cows, Sister Graham did chickens, Tina had the Scotty dogs. And much later I jumped into the fray collecting ceramic pitchers.

After a while, it became somewhat unwieldy, so I stopped buying them. I still get them as gifts - and so when I get a new one, I get rid of one so the collection stays stable. They are useful, and I use them often.


A few years back I started acquiring vintage table cloths. I like using table cloths, and the newer ones just didn't appeal much to me. So I look wherever I go and find lots of pretty ones. I use them often too - and just recently used every last one of them at our recent women's conference.

A major plus is that they are much easier to store.


I had vowed to "pare down" this year. Not doing exceptionally well on that score since I went and got two more for the conference, since I didn't have enough.

But I have discarded a few other items in my linen closet - have been using my collection of vintage tea towels to wrap gifts in for example.

At least I'm not collecting soup tureens!

What is it about collecting anyway??

No comments: