Saturday, January 08, 2011

"I hope you dance . . "

I used to listen to country music all the time - at least all the time I was driving around in the car. I haven't listened to it for several years though. But the other day, I was driving and the song "I Hope You Dance" came on. I was impressed that I remembered the words too!

Ry and I at Wade's wedding - don't ask me what year it was!

I like the idea the song embodies - life may throw you curves, but if you get a chance to go out and have some fun, or participate in some meaningful activity you enjoy, or go somewhere new and different, by all means take the chance and go and do!!

I'm thinking I need to be more proactive about providing myself with opportunities to dance! I am often quick to say that I'm too busy, that I'd better stay home and finish the laundry, that I'll take a raincheck on that one.

For example, I saw the pictures on Hannah's blog of their day trip to Olvera Street. Actually I had a task I had to perform that day, but I'm wondering if I would have gone along even if I hadn't had the task.

When my children were younger, I'd encourage Harry to go to events with them and leave me home alone so I could catch up or rest or do any number of things that needed doing. I saw my own mother do the same thing. We often went places with my dad - fun places too - and I'm sure my mom had him take us alone so she could have some kind of break.

This isn't a bad way to divvy up the responsibility for childcare or housecare or jobcare or church callingcare. But I'm thinking you have to be careful it doesn't become a habit that keeps you from other pursuits - pursuits that just might bring you great joy.

And there's nothing quite like enjoying something that brings you joy!

3 comments:

Phoebe said...

It was 2005 that you went to Wade's wedding. Strange that we would move into the same neighborhood where you went to that reception just a year later!

David and I have been having the same conversation about one of us missing out on fun outings in order to have a break or do a task. I trust that we can find the right balance. And hopefully next year you'll come with us to Chinatown! I already have it on my list of places to go when we are home!

grannybabs said...

The book I'm reading now is about the history of Chinatown in LA - maybe you should read it after I do! It's called On Gold Mountain by Lisa See.

Eliza said...

I think it was in the magazines from Bonny that you sent a while ago (can't remember the name but it is all about family life and simple living), there was a series of articles about playing. A mom decided that she didn't want to be remembered as the one who was always badgering the kids or making them do stuff, and then disappearing to do her own work when the fun came around. She gave her thoughts on the value of having fun with your kids rather than just doing the dirty work and letting your husband be the fun guy.

I have tried to take that approach to heart although it doesn't always come naturally. Sometimes I do need a Saturday morning to myself to get things done while Matt takes the kids. But it's also important to do fun things together and to be someone my kids enjoy being around, not just because I keep them fed and clothed and on the strait and narrow but also because they enjoy my company and have built up good memories with me.