Friday, January 14, 2011

Nestled in the forest!


Tonight at dinner, Dad said, "It will be nice to be at a point where we are grinding our own wheat and making our own bread once again."

He was referring to when we retire, when we will settle down to thrifty ways and provident living, when we will have a garden and compost our own fertilizer.

One of our goals this year is to "practice" being retired. That is, look at what we need and what we just want. Look at where our resources go and if there are better places - or fewer places - for them to go.

I went to the retirement party for one of the district employees. A number of friends who have already retired were there too. One commented that right after she retired, the mother of her beloved grandson lost custody - and her son wasn't in any shape to raise the boy - so now she and her ex-husband - who appear to be on good terms - are raising the boy. He's in 1st grade and she goes every day and volunteers for 2 hours in the classroom - to be sure he's getting a good education.

Doesn't sound to restful to me - so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I think it will be "different" to be retired - not necessarily "easier!"

1 comment:

Alice said...

We have made bread on and off for 20 years. There is really no good bread in the 3rd world. There are a lot of other foods which are great but bread is not one of them. I just made two batches of bread over the weekend (Thursday, Friday and Saturday for us). One was regular and the other had a lot of extra grains that Dale loves. They both turned out great. We, too are looking forward to retirement and having a garden and raising a cow or two. I do need to practice "retiring" so that I can live withing my budget. Good Luck with that as well. We actually brought wheat with us when we went to Nepal and just used it up in La Paz. I had to buy new wheat this past summer. Hard, white wheat is the best.