Saturday, January 22, 2011

"A rose by any other name . . ."


Much of my life seems to revolve around school. Not so odd really, since I spend 5 days a week, 8 to 10 hours a day there for about 9 months out of each year.

This is a photo from 2 1/2 years ago - I look much thinner. Probably because I was much thinner. Maybe this will inspire me! Or not.

But I can only remember the girl next to Beth, not her name. And the girl next to me doesn't even look vaguely familiar. Maybe she was not a student of mine and just got in the picture.

I see former students all the time around here. And it's always "Hi Mrs. Terrill," while I just say, "Hi!" with as much emphasis as possible so they don't notice that I'm not saying their name. And I think that maybe I should have kept a log or a journal or something so that I could review former students occasionally. (I could buy a yearbook, but they are up to $45 now!!)

Dad feels that way about all the missionaries that have come through over the many years that he has been Ward Mission Leader. We should have set up a log or chart or something with a picture and their name under it. (We have lots of pictures, but not all of them are identified!!) We get wedding invites and baby announcements and Christmas cards. Elder Thomas has a ring to it that doesn't seem to mesh with "Hi Nathan!!" It feels like they will always be missionaries.

We had Sister Keller here for three weeks and I called her Sister Keller the whole time. I felt like I was breaking a rule calling her Julie Ann! But then Julie Bourgeous Sears still calls me Sister Terrill whenever she sees me.

Funny how that works.

2 comments:

tipi tai said...

I was really worried that I would have the same problem with the missionaries I taught at the MTC (260+), so I started making lists on the backs of photographs. As time went on, however, I stopped taking/getting photos and had to rely on my shaky memory. Luckily, now that most are home the vast majority have tracked me down on Facebook where I have created groups that are only visible to me to classify my friends. For example, some of my group titles: MTC: Coworkers, MTC: Students, Mission: Members, Mission: Investigators/Converts, Mission: Missionaries, etc. Sounds kind of OCD now that I've typed it out.

grannybabs said...

But you will know them when you see them!! Or when they send you a wedding invite!