Thursday, January 20, 2011

Friendship


I am having dinner tonight with my good friend Norma. Norma is the friend I met 30 years ago who said, after I'd known her for a couple of years, "You are the first Mormon I met that I liked." Needless to say, I was glad I'd managed to make the cut!

Norma and I at her daughter Jill's wedding - 2008 I think.

We both had 3 year old daughters when we met. We were both from the same era. We had both been raised in Southern California. And we were both Parent/Teachers at SMCNS. The similarities ended there, however.

Along with the teacher in the group where we parent taught, and another Parent/Teacher, we started meeting monthly for lunch. This didn't last long, but Norma and I kept on getting together. Some years the meetings were just quarterly. And often we included our husbands - Harry and Larry get along famously.

And of course, for a few years, our girls played together until they went into the public schools - where new friends and activities soon took over. But Phoebe and Jill still consider themselves friends I think, even if they don't stay in touch.

What Norma didn't like about Mormons was, "They don't support the ERA, and they have too many kids!" In spite of her stance, she continued to stay in touch as I had 3 more children. And she seemed genuinely happy for us too. She remembers all the details about our kids that I have shared with her. In fact, she remembers things I have told her about my siblings too.

After a few years, Norma went back to school - she had been a social worker and a former Peace Corps worker - and got a special education teaching credential. A few years later, I followed suit. In fact, during the time I was subbing, I did a long-term sub assignment for her when she had hip surgery.

There was a period when we were both in Weight Watchers too - we'd go weigh in and then go to dinner together!

When I gravitated to Special Education also, we found we had lots to talk about - and our meetings were fun and therapeutic!!

And now Norma is going to retire. I'm happy for her. And I'm sure she will still have lots to talk about with me. But I think I might be a bit envious too.

Although according to her, she won't be in a position to travel lots or do exciting things because of budget issues.

Maybe she will get some grandkids though - and we can talk about that too!!

And we'll always have Sierra Madre!!

No comments: