Friday, January 07, 2011

Mary and Martha


So, I'm not too sure I can express this somewhat complex theme that has been going around in my brain all day, but I am going to try.

As you may - or may not - know, my mom had surgery on Monday to have her left eye removed, due to ocular melanoma. The surgery, if you can believe it, is outpatient. She came through fine, and medically she is continuing to do well. She is little "down" however, and we can all understand that too. But it isn't the Mom I'm used to seeing, so it's a little sad. And a little scary too.

We try to remind ourselves that it's only been a few days. That it is a normal kind of grieving and getting used to kind of process. Mom is a strong woman who has pretty much just dealt with everything that came her way. And she pretty much expected us to do the same! And like Harry said, "I'm pretty sure I'd be feeling down if it was me - at any age!"

Christmas just ended - you knew that - but it was a crazy, busy, crowded holiday. Lots of people came and stayed - we even had an RV in the driveway to handle the overflow. Most nights we were feeding a crowd. The dishwasher died on Christmas morning. The washer and dryer were running 24/7. We had the Terrill Family Party, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, and all the other nights in between. Our tree is still not down - but not to worry - we aren't turning on the lights! The last houseguest left today - Eliza and her kids were here this week - and now it's a little too quiet for my blood! And I miss my kids coming in to say goodnight too!

But in spite of my great love for our kids and grandkids, I'm something of a neat-freak, and I tend to follow after people and pick up toys, books, mail, dishes, food - whatever has been set down - and then I put it away somewhere. It's true - I'm renowned for this quality. It's a quality not appreciated by very many either. Phoebe would say, "I could find it if you'd leave it where I put it!"

I honestly try to not do it. I think, "When everyone's gone, Barbara, you are going to miss them. Just let it be. Sit down and enjoy everyone." I'm not real successful in that mode however. I'm pretty sure I miss out on some good moments because of this attitude of mine. Sometimes I just get tired and sit down. And the world doesn't stop or anything!! Why can't I learn??

Then on Sunday, in his Gospel Doctrine lesson, Harry the son asked me to share my favorite story from the New Testament. I immediately thought of Luke 10:38-42. And I thought that I was Martha - that I was "cumbered about much serving." And I thought that I'd rather be like Mary, and "have chosen that good part."

All these ideas have been tumbling around in my head today. I know the connection - but I'm not sure I've explained it very well. We are all concerned about my mom. We are all a little worried about the long-range effects of her surgery and cancer. We are all thinking of her - and we are thinking about how all this effects us. In the grand scheme of things, the important things are not things. And they are not tidy houses. And they are not beautifully spread meals or gaily wrapped gifts or new pajamas. They are not homemade treats or crafty surprises.

What matters is love and caring and concern and faith and hope.

All qualities my mother has demonstrated for us.

And her name is Mary.


4 comments:

Amy Girl said...

You articulated what you were thinking perfectly for me. I think many of us are Martha's (especially in our own homes when they are full of family and visitors), but for me the important thing is recongnizing the Martha in us and trying to be more like Mary and the Marys - like you mother - in our lives.

Leslie said...

Don't be too hard on yourself, there has to be some organization or sometimes things get out of control.
It sounds like you enjoyed your family a great deal! Our mother is so precious it is hard to know she is so distressed. But she is being cared for by very loving hands. Keep being yourself, it is what I love about you!

amy k said...

I couldn't imagine going through what she has. She is a strong woman from what I have heard and seen. Although she has also raised great kids as well. Just remember that the Lord won't give us a challenge that we can't handle.

On the other part about cleaning and not enjoying. It took me a couple times too but I would rather enjoy then and clean later after seeing how much you miss. Besides what you clean up doesn't stay straightened very long.

Phoebe said...

Great post, Mom.