Sunday, January 02, 2011

Starting the New Year right!!


Well, here it is January 2nd, and I have not only not posted yet, but I haven't made any progress on improving! Here it is, after 11, and I'm still not in bed. (I was resolving to get more rest. I am no longer the spring chicken who could grab some shut eye on the side of a highway near the Bonneville Salt Flats - and then continue on the journey with verve and enthusiasm!!)

We had a great lesson in Relief Society today - the "r" word was not used, but we all knew what we were talking about!! I liked the teacher's approach - talking about seeing the big picture, letting go of the past to move forward, having faith in the future, breaking down goals into doable increments, not letting the minutiae take over our lives.

Harry pointed out to me last week that many of the actions and activities that cause stress for me are things I like to do, things that are good things to do, but things that add up to stress nonetheless. I think I have not been willing to acknowledge this truth. And I am going to try to not only acknowledge it, but act on it - and feel good about that action!

For example, I am often called the Birthday Queen because I send everyone birthday cards. I've done it for years. It's good to remember birthdays - but my circle of family and friends grows daily - and remembering all the birthdays past a certain point in the circle may just end this year. There are certain birthdays that will still be remembered - and not sending a card to someone will not diminish my regard for them. But getting the cards, keeping track, buying stamps, sitting down and writing them - it all takes time - sometimes it's time I don't have - and I stay up late getting caught up and then I'm tired. So I'm rethinking this one.

It's a start anyway!


3 comments:

amy k said...

I agree with you. It's a very sweet thing to do but also a "high maintenance" thing. I'm sure between facebook, the blogging world, and a phone, you could take care of most of them (or the more important ones).

Leslie said...

I think it would be fine to do that. You are a terrific sister who shows kindnesses in many ways!

Amy Girl said...

Uncle Harry is so wise!