Wednesday, January 05, 2011

"There is no frigate like a book . . ."


I love books. I love reading. I love libraries and books stores. I have spent many happy hours browsing in library stacks and bookstores.

But a few years ago, when I discovered Amazon.com and used books therein, I started buying used books. And I don't spend much time in bookstores anymore. And even though Monrovia boasts a beautiful new library, I hardly spend any time there either.

But mostly, I now have far too many books. Even though I "purge" my own shelves on a regular basis, I still have too many books. And far too many of them are second rate. Or I haven't even gotten around to reading them.

Last week I read an article in Sunset magazine about a family that has taken recycling to almost the ultimate end - among other things, they take glass jars and cloth sacks to the market and don't buy anything that comes in packages, they get compostable toothbrushes from Australia, and they don't own any books - all their books come from the library.

Well, that is too extreme for me. But it got me thinking that since my over-arching goal for the new year is to simplify my life, it might be prudent for me to get back into the library habit. Or get back into the habit of borrowing books from other people. Or if I'm going to buy books, buy them from a used book store that will buy them back from you!! (and we have one just 5 minutes from our house!!)

Right now I am reading a very good book - On Gold Mountain by Lisa See - that a man at church handed it to me one Sunday - his wife and I often discuss books - and so I started reading it. It's a memoir about Ms. See's family and their life in California - most particularly Los Angeles and Chinatown.

I would say I'm off to a good start!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

There is nothing like the library. My book group couldn't get along without it.

grannybabs said...

Ours is a beautiful new building - but the funds didn't provide anything for new books, so the selection is quite limited. But there are lots of books there and I certainly have not read all of them!

Karen said...

I do love the library, but I also like to own books.
My personal solution is to use the libary for new authors, or books I'm not sure of. Or even for a book I am interested in reading, but don't necessarily feel the need to own.
Then I only buy the ones I really want to own. Which is fewer now than it used to be.
Maybe having bought books in the past that ended up being disappointing to me is what has fueled that.

grannybabs said...

I need to be more thoughtful about book purchases - I am in the habit of just buying them!

D. Scott said...

You can't have too many books!
It would be like having too many grandchildren!