Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Baby it's cold outside!"


We have had a rash of nippy weather. I'm sure you Utahans and East Coasters would call us wimpy for chattering in 42 degree weather. Be that as it may, 42 degrees - especially at 9 o'clock in the morning - is cold!!

Which put me in mind of some old photos I remembered - and could actually lay my hands on - wherein I am wearing a new coat in one of them - one that was always my favorite. Harry took these photos - he was taking a photo class and even had a new (used) camera to practice with.


We had been married for 2 years. We had scrimped and scrounged for 2 years. We had left Provo and come to SLC for graduate school at the U. When we had a small windfall, Harry insisted that we get a new coat for me. I hadn't had a new coat for several years. The one I wore most of the time was from high school - which means it wasn't even a Utah coat!!

So we headed off for ZCMI. I fell in love with this coat - it had a fur collar - it's so long ago, it was probably real animal fur too. I wish I had a full length photo of it. I thought it was quite elegant. I wore it proudly and often.

When we moved to California, I brought it along. Hung onto it for about 5 years. Then finally decided it would never get worn again. At least not very often! So I gave it to the D.I.

It probably ended up in someone's costume box.

Is there some kind of statement being made when a woman wears a coat with a fur collar - and ponytails??

No comments: