Saturday, February 12, 2011

"Each life that touches ours for good"


It seems like I've used that title before - probably because I've reached that stage in life where I'm not looking for wedding or baby announcements so much anymore but rather am seeing more in the way of obituary notices!! Not all of them are people my age - some older - some younger. I think I am just more aware of my mortality - of everyone's mortality. I certainly didn't used to think of it so often!

Kaye with Bonnie Kinch at a ward Relief Society Christmas dinner in 1988.

And though Kaye was older than me - but not by much - and even though she had been in poor health for many years, I was certainly surprised by her death.

Dad with Bishop Burdette and Ken Zerbel in 1988 - maybe a farewell for Bishop Monson??

The Burdette family was a part of our lives - and always will be, even though they are far away. It may sound cliche, but we do need to appreciate the people in our lives now.

Kaye was a gracious and lovely woman. She liked to make things nice, to make them special. Sometimes I would chafe when she tried to micromanage an assignment she'd given me. One time I got upset with her and told her that if she wanted it done her way, she'd have to do it herself - if I did it, I was going to do it my way.

She expressed her willingness to let me do it "my way." She said she'd often found that people were seeking direction, so she'd gotten into the habit of giving it. I felt bad for getting upset with her. But she wasn't upset with me.

Now that is graciousness!

No comments: