Thursday, February 17, 2011

"How do I love thee?" At least, what are some of the things I love about you?

Kacy F. did a Valentine's Day post about how much she loved her kids - and most of the commenters lauded her efforts at focusing on love and not romance.

Since I recently focused on this particular photo - I sent it to our family orthodontist who took care of everyone's smiles - I was thinking about our great kids and how much I love them!

So here's to lauding the people who give dimension and meaning to my life!!

I love Bonny's long blonde hair, her ready smile, her generosity of spirit, her attention to detail, her love of all things historical in her life, and how seriously she takes her position as the oldest child!!

I love Harry's ability to single-mindedly focus - on his wife, his life, his kids, his career, his yard, his house, his dogs, his new camera, and the birds that flock to his trees!!

I love how the party doesn't really start until Phoebe is there!! I love her joie de vivre that emanates from whatever or wherever she is. I love her sense of style - and her fearlessness in expressing it!!

I love Eliza's calm, deliberate way of dealing with all life gives her. I love her serious consideration of all life entails. I love that she is a memory keeper. And I love how she can have one blouse that just makes her happy when she wears it!!

I love that Hannah can take silk and twine and needle and thread and cloth and felt and buttons and bows and make a happy place for all who go there! I love that she wants to sew. I love that she just wants to know if she can use anything she can find in the garage!!

I love Noah. I love his eternal optimism. I love his love for his grandmothers. I love his ability to not need very much. I love his love of learning. I love that everyone sees his sweet spirit and kind heart!!

Lest we leave romance completely out of the picture, since romance lead to the above-referenced apples of our collective eye, let me just say that I love their dad too.


I love his smile, and how his blue eyes crinkle when he smiles. I love his shining white hair. I love his love of all things poetic. I love that his "soul claps its hands and sings" rather than remain a "tattered coat upon a stick!"

Let's hear it for love!! (We are part-hippie you know!!)




5 comments:

Karen said...

Very nice Barbara, and thoughtful.

Eliza said...

I haven't been reading blogs very much lately so I just got to this one. Thank you for such a nice post! I love that in almost anything I face in my life, one of my first thoughts is always, "I wonder what Mom thinks about this?" I love that you are always a phone call away.

Alisha said...

I read all the nice things you posted on your blog about your family. Eliza linked you up and I eagerly followed.

I cried. (I was also listening to her post with Radiohead's "sad song" and maybe that set the mood.) I love Eliza, she is great. Having only known her for four short years, I rely on her and call on her for advice all the time. You've got to be a great mother to have raised someone so exceptional.

Thanks for sharing.

kacy faulconer said...

I love your family too.

grannybabs said...

Her dad gets a lot of the credit - it's taken me a lot of years to see the wisdom in his approach.