Monday, February 21, 2011

A month of celebration


Esme's birthday is today. So we went out to Malibu on Sunday to celebrate. Seemed a little like we'd just been there - because we had - to celebrate Ara's b-day. In the month of love, though, celebrating seems very apropos.

I don't remember ever having my grandparents to our house to celebrate birthdays. I don't know how common it might have been in other homes, but I'm pretty sure the size of our family was daunting for even the most determined grandparents. Although I do remember a few years in a row when my Grandma Stevens would bring out a birthday gift for Alice and one for me. They would sit up in the cupboard above the closet in my parent's bedroom - this was when we were in the little house. One year it was umbrellas. Another year it was lunchboxes. And another year it was fancy Sunday dresses with sheer overskirts. The one downside was that once Alice opened her gift in April, I knew just what mine would be in May. I just didn't know the color!


I love that Bonny carries on the tradition of the little number figurines that I used to do with her. I think I was sporadic with the other girls. You can see it in the corner of the photo. I had Dad take pictures because I was mending Ella's gym bag for her - and I didn't give him precise instructions!

It was a fun evening - Harry, Dawn and fam were there, as was Noah, so it was a big group. And there is nothing as good as food, family, and celebration.

Especially when the next day is a holiday and you don't have to get up early!!!

No comments: