Sunday, February 20, 2011

Saturday Night at the Sewing Machine!!


I have my trusty little portable DVD player plunked right down next to my sewing machine. And when I sew - mostly aprons - which I can almost do in my sleep - I watch a movie. Makes the time go by faster - and it's not so solitary. (It occurred to me that when I had kids at home and sewed, there was always noise and commotion and people talking to me - so it didn't seem like such a solitary occupation then. In fact, I probably wished for solitude!!)

But I digress - as is my wont - and so let me just say that it's good to watch a well-wrought tear jerker now and then. Especially one with Olympia Dukakis and Dolly Parton!!

Did you know there are "quotable quotes" from the film - pages of them if you Google it.

Some of the better ones: "There is no such thing as natural beauty." Or "I don't trust a woman who does her own hair." Or, "These thighs have not ventured out without being encased in spandex since I was 14." Or, "I have a strict policy that no one cries alone in my presence." And finally, "Happiness through tears is my favorite emotion."

All spoken by the Dolly Parton character, Truvy, owner of the beauty salon.

I can't watch a movie I haven't seen before when I sew. If I do, I have to pay close attention - and then I don't get much sewing done. Usually I watch Gone With the Wind, or Father of the Bride, or Because of Winn Dixie, or Little Women. It's good to add one to the list.

And this one had subtitles - so I could let the machine sew away and make noise and I'd still know what was being said!

I have to take help wherever I can get it!

3 comments:

hanner said...

i love steel magnolias. the last time i watched it was in bed with diane over christmas break when robbie and i were just dating, haha. talk about a bonding experience!

The Hungry Bookworm said...

Barb...I was happy to see your comment on my blog the other day...I often "drop in" yours..but never comment...but I relate to your movie watching during sewing...I usually listen to books on CD from the library or Audible...we'll have to look for some pictures from our Grenoble era...maybe the "Belly of the Y" contest...

grannybabs said...

If you have photos from Grenoble I would love to see them!!