Friday, February 04, 2011

Super Bowl Friday


I'm not sure when the tradition began, but for many years there has been a Super Bowl Friday at Clifton Middle School. It used to be a much bigger deal than it is now. For starters, the In 'n Out truck used to come, and we had a two hour lunch. Then the 8th grade boys played the faculty - and the faculty always won!! Cheerleaders, tall flags, mascot, drill team - the - pardon the pun - whole 9 yards!

Now it's just an assembly schedule - all classes are shortened to 47 minutes instead of 55 - and it's a regular lunch, and at the end of 7th period it's 2:oo instead of 3:00 - and then the teachers take their classes out to the field, the drill team marches around a bit, and the teachers play the 8th grade boys. The teachers still seem to win.

It's not my favorite day. I'm not a fan of the Super Bowl or football for that matter. And I positively hate monitoring 8th graders on the field outside. (They are supposed to stay with their class.) Especially 8th graders who'd rather run away from me to be with their friends.

Maybe the 8th graders will win this year - I'll let you know. I know you are waiting with bated breath.

I'm just waiting for it to be over for another year!!

No comments: